“If we shadows have offended, Think but this, and all is mended, That you have but slumber’d here, While these visions did appear, And this weak and idle theme, No more yielding, but a dream.” –Shakespeare, A Midsummer Night’s Dream
There’s nothing quite like summertime. The long, lazy days filled with everything we can think of to beat the heat are almost as magical as the nights. A summer night—after the sun has gone to bed and the heat has settled a bit—can make up some of the best moments of our lives. If you’re not already making the most of your summer, start immediately!
Summer days spent at the beach, on a lake, or at the pool are ideal for soaking up some Vitamin D and enjoying quality time with friends and family. Of course, there’s plenty of opportunities to practice your backstroke and diving, too. The ocean has many advantages that, for instance, another natural body of water or swimming pool cannot offer.
On the Beach
“To go out with the setting sun on an empty beach is to truly embrace your solitude.”
- Make the most of the beach and build sandcastles, write your name in the sand, collect seashells, and stack stones one on top of another to create a Zen sculpture. If you can go out on a boat to sail or deep sea fish, do so! There’s nothing better than catching your own supper and cooling off with a salty maritime breeze.
- Run through the dunes, watch the boats in the distance and the seagulls overhead, and don’t forget to catch the best of nature’s theatre: a beach sunset.
- Embrace solitude. Even if you’re with friends and family, take some time to yourself to go for a walk and be silent. Stroll in the surf and listen to the waves. Observe the tides as they roll in and then out again: this is extremely calming and meditative.
Make the most of your time at the pool and relax under a colorful umbrella with a good book in a chaise lounge. Use a fun, novelty pool float and always have a good pair of dark sunglasses handy. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
Lakes and Rivers
Lakes and rivers are usually associated with camping, bonfires, quaint cabins, rowboats, and fireflies. Don’t hesitate to go downstream in a raft, soar above the water on a tire swing, jump off the dock or pier, and go skinny dipping!
The Hostess with the Mostest
Summer parties, barbeques, and potlucks with your favorite foods (you know what I mean: barbeque, fresh vegetables—especially corn on the cob and heirloom tomatoes—macaroni and potato salad), are essential for the season. Host your own party if you can and, if not, be a good guest!
For decoration: don’t forget bouquets of seasonal wildflowers, Japanese lanterns, hand-held fans as party favors, and wind chimes (for those delicious summer breezes).
It wouldn’t be summer without lots of cool things to eat, like ice cream, shaved ice, and gelato. Fruity cocktails are an absolute must! Create your own drink and give it a name! Flowers really add something special and exotic to non-alcoholic beverages: use rosehip, lavender, prickly pear, elderberry, and juniper berry syrups to give any drink extra flair and flavor. Oh, and don’t forget plenty of freshly picked mint!
Make the Most of Summer Fashion
“I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes.” –The Rolling Stones
Make this summer (and the whole year) one of body positivity! Life is too short. Don a cute summer dress, halter top, or something sleeveless and show off your freckles, tan lines, and everything else. Summer is a wonderful time for accessorizing and making the most of fun, funky fashions. Incorporate bright colors into your wardrobe, wear a flirty bathing suit that accentuates and hugs your curves, and don’t forget a flowy sarong to complete the look!
Sandals and strappy heels with spangles and sparkles are always lots of fun; the same goes for an enormous sun hat (the bigger, the better; this is functional fashion). Don’t shy away from chunky jewelry (anklets are a must), henna tattoos, a fresh pedicure, and flowers in your hair.
Dancing barefoot (preferably to live music), going braless, and sporting tousled hair—air-dried after swimming—are all effortless ways to feel unencumbered and beautiful this summer. You can always don a cute swim cap if you’re not into the beachy waves hairdo! For dewy beauty, try Nabila K’s shimmer makeup trick for that golden goddess glow.
- Simply mix the second and fifth colors in Nabila K’s Moroccan Sand eyeshadow palette and combine the shimmer with the Here I Am daytime face cream. This will give your moisturizing routine that extra oomph (and sparkle) you’ve been craving.
- Or mix your favorite Nabila K eye shadow with the Aloe Surge facial mist! Make sure to use enough shimmery powder to achieve the desired effect, and then spritz away!
For more information on the Nabila K cosmetics mentioned in this blog, check out the links below: