“Houses and rooms are full of perfumes, the shelves are crowded with perfumes, I breathe the fragrance myself and know it and like it.” –Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
To evoke memory through scent is a luxury. I have been enamored of perfumes, lotions, and potions my entire life, ever since I was a little girl taking bubble baths and playing with elegant glass bottles. The seductive allure of perfume never palls for me. Anyone can make their life more rich and more luxurious just by using their favorite exotic scents and botanical oils.
This is why I started my line of bath, body, and makeup products: to bring a little clean beauty and some of my favorite scents to fruition (in many forms). Some of my favorites include jasmine, lavender, sandalwood, and rosemary. You’d be surprised at some of the many fabulous tidbits of information surrounding some of my favorite fragrances.
“As other minds sail on the crest of music mine floats on the waves of your perfume.”
- Jasmine is known and loved for its heady yet delicate sweetness, tiny white flowering vines, and aphrodisiac qualities. Because it blooms at night, jasmine is a bit of a mysterious and romantic plant. It is common in India for married women to wear jasmine flowers on their fingers as wedding rings and in their hair as beauty accents. Even men in Morocco and Tunisia can be seen wearing sprigs of jasmine tucked behind their ears to enjoy the sweet fragrance.
Known as the “Queen of the Night,” jasmine has been used to perfume bath water and fountains flowing in reverence to Egyptian gods and goddesses since the 1st millennium BC.
“The fragrance of jasmine in the garden, at twilight, is like the perfume of a celestial woman.” –Kahlil Gibran
- Nabila Koffers “Jazz” perfume with jasmine and essential oils, a Jasmine & Honey diffuser to flood your surroundings with this favorite fragrance, candles for perfume and ambiance, and soothing body oil (with argan, shea, jojoba, and aloe vera) that can be added to baths, used as a moisturizer or with a massage.
- Lavender: there is so much myth and folklore surrounding lavender. It’s been said that Cleopatra favored lavender as a lure in her seductions and that the asps that killed her hid in lavender bushes. It is also believed that the sacred virgin, Mary, hung Christ’s clothes on a lavender bush after the crucifixion and, when banished from the Garden of Eden, Adam and Eve took lavender with them as tokens.
- With lavender lip polish, bath salts, bubble baths, candles, diffusers, hygienic wipes, shampoo, and conditioner, Nabila K has everything you need to fill your life with the lovely scent of Southern France in summer.
- Sandalwood oil comes from the tree Santalum album, native to India and Southeast Asia. One of the most expensive woods in the world (as it’s so rare), sandalwood comes from a soft tree that keeps its fragrance for decades and is synonymous with incense. Used for centuries in India and ancient Egypt, the earthy-scented, seductive wood served as a religious sacrament and favored perfume.
First discovered thousands of years ago, it remains a sacred and protected tree in India, where it is widely considered a sign of reincarnation. It is also thought, in Hinduism, to bring one closer to divinity.
Nabila K offers a body oil aptly called “Royal Wood” because you will, upon use, feel like the queen of a tropical forest grove. Put a few drops of the oil into a running bath or rub directly onto your skin (it’s that gentle and organic) to treat dryness and restore elasticity and glow.
• Try Nabila K’s Botanical Best Collagen and Biotin Shampoo and Conditioner for gorgeous hair this summer. With rosemary as a key ingredient, your hair will appear fuller, rejuvenated, shiny, and manageable, with a fresh evergreen fragrance. Rosemary is known for its revitalizing, herbal scent that will transport you to a forest experience.
To read more about the scents mentioned in this blog (along with history and other fun facts), check out the links cited below:
For more information on jasmine, lavender, sandalwood, and rosemary-scented products by Nabila K, click the links below and visit the website.