“And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.”
—F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
(Brigitte Bardot sunbathes in Jean-Luc Godard’s Le Mepris, 1963)
(Jerry Hall photographed by Norman Parkinson in Montego Bay, Jamaica, 1975)
When we think of summer, we inevitably think of the days becoming longer, parties on the lawn that last until dawn, fruity cocktails, lying by the swimming pool, walking on a white sandy beach, kids out of school, and, of course, sunshine. While summer is a magical time when we can get some much-needed Vitamin D, it’s so important not to neglect one’s skincare regimen!
- Sun-kissed skin needs to be protected from harsh UV rays, so always use a good sunscreen when outdoors. If you’re at the beach or relaxing by the pool, do not forget to apply sunblock regularly. The sun is harmful, but so is the wind by the ocean: as good as a sea breeze feels on a hot day, it can also chap and burn your skin, so be careful.
- Don’t forget to keep your very delicate skin moisturized. Lip balm is a must and will stave off fever blisters from the sun. Try Nabila K’s organic lip balms (available in Acai, Passionfruit, Sweet Vanilla, Orange Tangerine, Peppermint, Herbal, and unscented flavors).
- It’s inevitable: when we get a bit of sun in the summer, our skin will peel and look dry and unhealthy. This is why it’s crucial to exfoliate! Try Nabila K’s organic Botanical Mud face mask (with peppermint and aloe vera) for smooth, restored skin.
- What about swimming caps? Well, they may seem old-fashioned but are quite useful when one doesn’t want to ruin their hairdo while protecting their scalp from the sun’s harsh rays. Don’t forget that the skin on your scalp is incredibly sensitive and can burn easily, too!
- Finally: no summer look is complete without a pair of cool, dark shades.
(Grace Kelly on the beach in Cannes: To Catch a Thief, 1955)
“Summer afternoon—summer afternoon; to me those have always been the two most beautiful words in the English language.” —Henry James
Paper fans, floppy straw hats, parasols, and big beach umbrellas, loose flowy clothes in pale colors, cool drinking water, highball glasses filled to the rim, and a refrigerated bottle of facial mist: all of these are essential when trying to beat the heat!
- Stay hydrated. Drink lots of water, and don’t forget to moisturize. A Popsicle or two can’t hurt as a little treat, either!
- Try Nabila K’s Here I Am/I Am Here Set for all your facial moisturizing needs (from day to night). With aloe, rose, and sage as main ingredients, these creams will help to nourish, restore, and rejuvenate your skin when you wake up in the morning and as you sleep.
- Use a refreshing facial mist to cool down. Nabila K’s Aloe Surge is the perfect way to quickly rehydrate and refresh skin. Just spritz it on and let it work its magic!
- A fun, little-known secret for staying refreshed and youthful (especially in summer) is to give yourself an instant natural facelift with an ice facial! Fill a big bowl with ice and dunk your face in! Your skin will immediately look a bit tighter and more youthful.
For more information on summer skincare and the Nabila K products mentioned in this blog, visit the website and check out the links below: