Is it Possible to Walk in High Heels Gracefully?
I recently put on heels for the first time in two years and was shocked to discover I could not even stand in them, let alone walk. Was I truly able to run in them once upon a time?
Women love wearing high heels for many reasons. You may enjoy the added height boost you get from wearing high heels. You could also enjoy wearing high heels, including liking the way they look and make you feel. Finding the perfect high heels to match an outfit is fun, and you have hundreds of styles to choose from whether you shop online or at the local shop.
When you are fortunate enough to get the feel of your high-heeled shoes precisely right, it can improve your posture, highlight your body’s curves, and give you an overall feeling of being more feminine. Another common claim by women who love high heels is that they enjoy the confidence boost they have in them.
How to Pair the Right High Heels with the Right Occasion
High-heeled shoes come in a range of styles, and it is important to know which type to wear with your outfit or for a specific occasion. The most common type of high-heeled shoes include:
- Cone heels: Shoes with a cone heel have a round incline that appears broader at the base of the shoe. The increase in height is minimal with cone heels.
- Kitten heels: Shoes with a kitten heel provide height of up to two inches. The shoe shapes the foot in an especially attractive manner. You can find kitten heels most often on a pair of sandals.
- Platform heels: These shoes have a much wider heel than the other types. The height increase can be as much as several inches, and platform heel shoes provide an attractive curve to each foot, much like kitten heels.
- Prism heels: As its name implies, prism heels have three sides that form a triangle at the heel. This shoe has one of the most unique looks of high-heeled shoes.
- Stilettos: This type of shoe has a long, thin heel that sits several inches high. They are most appropriate for a special evening out.
- Wedges: These heels run across the entire sole or bottom of the shoe to form a wedge. Wedges differ from all other types of high-heeled shoes because the heel provides its own base. The wedge high-heeled shoe tends to be more popular in the summer because it features an open-toe area.
The best thing about having so many choices for high-heeled shoes is that you can make all of them look dressy with the right outfit. You might even want to choose a pair of platform sneakers with high heels for a less formal event.
How to Walk in High Heels without Pain
If you have a big event coming up where you want to wear high heels, be sure you practice walking in them each day to build your tolerance level. Taking this approach gives you the opportunity to discover any issues you might have with the shoes before wearing them for an entire evening.
For example, your shoes may rub against the side of your foot and cause discomfort. Here are two suggestions for solving that problem:
- Wear your high heels with a pair of thick socks around the house for a few hours. When you take the shoes and socks off, blow-dry the shoes in the area where they rub for 30 seconds to expand them.
- Fill two plastic bags with water, place them in each of your shoes, and then freeze them. Freezing your shoes with the ice packs in them should help them expand.
Another thing you can try is to tape your third and fourth toes together on each foot. This tried-and-true trick helps to take pressure off the ball of the foot that helps you balance while wearing the shoes. Stretching your feet and toes before you go out for the evening can also help.
Lastly, consider adding silicone gel insoles to each of your high-heeled shoes. They help to relieve pressure and discomfort throughout the entire foot. Silicone gel insoles are typically inexpensive, and you can find them in any shoe store.